The Central Electricity Authority (CEA) has notified the draft Central Electricity Authority (Flexible operation of thermal power plants) Regulations, 2022.
The draft regulation states that for flexible operation of the thermal power plants (TPPs):
- All TPPs shall be capable of providing the required output as per the schedule for generation finalised by appropriate Load Despatch Centers (LDCs). Based on the availability of must run stations, plants or units shall follow the variable load requirements.
- The appropriate LDCs shall schedule all coal based TPPs, upto the MPL of 55 per cent, to support the operation of must run stations.
- The appropriate LDCs may schedule all coal based TPPs, upto the minimum power levels (MPL) of 40 per cent, to support the operation of must run stations.
- The minimum rate of loading or unloading for coal based TPPs shall be 3 per cent per minute above the MPL. Provided that for supercritical and ultra-super-critical units, minimum rate of loading or unloading shall be 5 per cent per minute above the MPL.
- The TPPs shall implement the necessary modifications, if any, to achieve these requirements to generate flexible power according to schedules finalised by appropriate LDCs.
Process for implementing Flexible Operation of the TPPs:
Measures to lower minimum limits of power output, increase the ramp rates and optimise the start-up of the power plants should be implemented based on technical feasibility studies involving assessment of the following factors in consultation with the concerned original equipment manufacturers (OEMs)/ qualified consultants:
- Rated Capacity
- Minimum load Design rating with no oil support
- Design Ramp rate
- Influence of low load operation on components and systems
- Technical boundary conditions for flexible operation
- Combustion system optimization, co-ordination of mill and burner systems.
TPPs may decide adoption of suitable modifications in consultation with concerned OEMs/ qualified consultants.
The regulations will apply to all coal and lignite based TPPs and LDCs. The comments have been sought on the draft by August 26, 2022.
Click here to read the draft regulation