NTPC plans to acquire 5 per cent equity in PXIL

NTPC Limited is planning to acquire 5 per cent equity stake in Power Exchange of India Limited (PXIL).

The decision has been taken in view of the government’s intention to increase the share of spot power market to 25 per cent of total electricity supply in India by 2023-24. NTPC cannot buy more than 5 per cent equity stake in the PXIL as it could also be a seller or buyer on the trading platform. According to the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC), the share of short-term market accounted for 10 per cent of the total electricity procured in 2019-20. The remaining 90 per cent of total power supply was procured mainly by discoms via long-term contracts and short-term intra-state transactions.

GET ACCESS TO OUR ARTICLES

Enter your email address

Share your work e-mail and access a free 3 month digital subscription to Power Line Magazine