Mahesh Makhija: Director, Business Development and Commercial (Renewables), Apraava Energy Private Limited

Director, Business Development and Commercial (Renewables), Apraava Energy Private Limited

As director, business development and commercial (renewables) at Apraava En­er­gy, Mahesh Makhija is res­ponsible for developing the company’s renewable energy business and ensuring that its projects meet business ta­r­ge­ts. Prior to joining Apraa­va Energy, Makhija worked with Enercon India and Arthur Andersen & Co.

Makhija believes that the Indian pow­er sector is evolving at a rapid pace, continually redefining the industry outlook. “The government’s focus on achieving pow­er for all has accelerated capacity addition. We ha­ve witnessed a massive transformation in India’s renewable sector, making it a frontrunner in the renewable energy spa­ce. The sector’s growth is forecasted to att­ract investments worth $128.24 billion-$135.37 billion between 2018-19 and 2022-23,” rema­rks Makhija. India’s climate vision is am­bitious and needs a fra­me­wo­rk that enables its ti­mely ac­hie­vement. Accord­i­ng to Ma­khi­ja, the challenges with res­pect to land, RoW, and state appro­vals co­n­­tinue to impact project implementation. Non-CTU connected state-level renewable energy projects continue to face financial challenges due to payment de­­lays by many state utilities.

Talking about the company, Makhija notes that it embarked on a transfor­ma­ti­onal journey with the unveiling of its new corporate identity, Apraava Energy, in Oc­to­ber 2021. “As a step towards stre­ngthening this growth, CDPQ and the CLP Gr­oup agreed to the sale of a 10 per cent stake in Apraava Energy by CLP to CDPQ, bringing their respective stakes in the company to 50 per cent,” says Makhi­ja. “We also recently concluded the ac­qui­sition of 49 per cent equity of Kohima-Mariani Transmission Limited from Kal­pataru Power Transmission Li­mited and Techno-Electric and Enginee­ring Com­pa­ny Limited. The remaining 51 per cent stake will be acquired as per the terms of the transmission service agreement,” he says.

Makhija recalls his most memorable assignment as the execution of a 113 MW wind project, spread across six hills of Ma­harashtra. The project involved de­vi­sing innovative approaches for de­velopment, construction, financing and operations. Ma­khija is results oriented and be­lie­ves in providing flexibility and freedom to his team to achieve individual and collective results.

A qualified chartered accountant and a lawyer, Makhija also has an MBA from the Melbourne Business School. Talking ab­out personal interests, he says he is pa­ssionate about culinary arts.