Federal government of Nigeria requests loan from Exim bank of China for the Mambilla hydropower project

The federal government of Nigeria has formally requested for a loan from the Export-Import Bank [Exim] of China for the implementation of the 3,050 MW Mambilla hydropower project. The latter will connect with the Central African Power Pool via the Ikom region, and provide electricity to some of the most neglected areas of the country. The Exim Bank of China has agreed to provide 85 per cent or $4.9 billion of the total project cost ($5.8 billion), while the remaining 15 per cent or $870 million will be provided by the federal government of Nigeria. The project entails construction of four dams and a power station. It also includes the construction of the 159 km long, 330 kV Mambilla-Wukari; 95 km long, 330 kV Mambila-Jalingo; 159 km long, 330 kV Wukari-Makurdi; and 95 km long, 330 kV Wukari-Lafia double-circuit lines. The construction works will be undertaken by Chinese utilities – Gezhouba, Sinohydro, CGOC (which was formerly known as CGC Overseas Construction Group Limited) and the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation. The project is expected to be completed by 2025.


Enter your email address

Share your work e-mail and access a free 3 month digital subscription to Power Line Magazine